Sunday, January 17, 2016

Entry 22b: Bull Moose's letter



 A message from the ringmaster transcribed into the journal

Troopers-

Sorry, guys. Turns out the Harbinger of Death can really do a number on a fellow's entrance. I had planned to set everything straight, but once more, the universe has intervened, and the show must go on regardless. What may very well be my last words to you have to be Etched in my own goddamn blood onto alien hick armor.

Ah well. If the universe accommodated our desires, it wouldn't need people like us.

That brings me to our current predicament. See, right now, I've got to get back into the Hunting Grounds and stabilize the portal; if we lose that link, neither Jackie nor I can get back, and more importantly the Law Dogs never get the portal for a power source, which is even more damaging than Stone turning the whole place into a Deadland.

That, unfortunately, leaves you guys to carry out the work I was planning on doing. Right now, the Agency and the Rangers are at each other's throats, which is a huge drain on the two organizations best placed to keep the Reckoners and their servants down. As long as they're busy playing Spy vs. Spy, good men and women are dying out there and saving the fearmongers the trouble. I was well on my way to stopping that in 1876, but there's rather a lot of rock in the way of my counterpart--besides which, I was a bit of a wild child just after I died. Better for you to do this, believe me. Thankfully, we've got an opportunity like none other...I can't believe I'm calling Gomorrah an opportunity.

Look...the town of Gomorrah isn't anymore. It's off by the Maze; check a damn map. It wasn't much of a town when it was there, and it just got a hell of a lot worse, what with the manitou Knicknevin materializing and running amok. He had help, but the more immediately important issue is that both the Agency's spooks and the Rangers lost...many .Josef Rocescu, Mr. Slate, Johnny Quaid, Boom-Boom O’ Bannon, The Pennsylvania Kid, Melissa Thomas, Zeke Beauchamp, Tombstone Frank, Danny Hamilton, Bartholomew Prospectus… I liked the Kid, dammit. Also, and you may want to break this to Waltzing gently...Joeseph Eyes-Like-Rain is dead. Tread gently around the Sioux.

Perhaps this warning would've been better given BEFORE you got miles deep into the Sioux Nations and right next to the huge issue they have in Deadwood. That would've made sense.

Anyway, I built the Law Dogs from the ground up after the Agents and Rangers flailed senselessly against the remnants in Gomorrah. You all can and must do better. I know Capt. Katie Karl, the Ranger in charge. She wants this stupid cold war to end, and now she's got a reason; she just can't see it yet. Find her a case for going to the Agency with her head held high, get the Agency's man Cort Williams on board, and your work'll be half done. Do me a favor and call it the Law Dogs. I had a club named that as a boy; it'd help me find it once I come back to myself. Guess you could call it the Family, too--you all look like you're getting along well enough like one.

In a larger sense, well, everything's gone to shit, and I'm fairly sure you're the only ones who can get it even partially back. You know about the Reckoners, of course, and you know they work through fear. Problem is, we've got way too many guns out there, and if the bogeyman disappears quietly as he came, everyone's expecting him back, if you take my meaning. We need people out there looking out for the little guys, patching up the world on a local level as well. As saccharine as it sounds, we need heroes better than the stone cold badasses we deserve, and that means you goofballs, with all your surprising capabilities. You guys carry some mighty big sticks; just make sure you speak softly, too.

As for me, I've got a big glowing exit cue right behind me. There's a lot of work to be done shooing the vermin away from the portal and reconnecting it, and I've got Jackie to find and the Heart to get installed. Keep that staff; when I've got the portal back up and running, it should reenergize the collectors and start it pinging several dozen damage indicators. Once it gets going, we'll need you uptime, but for now, you've got your, or rather my, work cut out for you. Get Gomorrah's secret agencies working together, and I'll bet you'll figure out the rest; I did, and you're much sharper than I. Good luck; I've got a show to give, and the show, no matter when, must go on.



- Theodore Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment