Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Entry 13a:Secret Messages

I have decoded the shorter message I found with the dossier
"Be mindful of trusting the ghosts of the
 past they ended my life and began yours
Miranda  Dethewright"

And upon reading that I recalled an vague memory of a lot of anguish and pain, and I remembered a 5x5 grid along which diagonals are drawn.
 ----------
a b c d e
f g h i j
k l m n o
p q r s t
u v w x y

I have decoded the message that  I was given with the dossier and it reads:

"I know you've never liked relying on typed briefings but please trust the cipher and my personal
assurance that these measures are necessary. If I could show my face to anyone without half the
Agency going apoplectic, you'd be the first one I'd visit.

I'm told your last assignment was completed in exemplary fashion; everything went off perfectly,
and the oddest thing left at the site is a funny smell. As well know by now, we can't keep you
in-house for long enough for anyone to get to know you, and that's a risk we can't even think of
taking now of all times. We need you out of here. You never existed, of course, but It's time for
no one in our happy family to be able to count heads and come up one too many. (If we're only one
off, I'd put on a parka and get to hell, but the point remains.)

You're going to Lost Angels. (Yes, I'm comfident enough in this cipher to use proper nouns.) As
for what you're doing, I'd tell you to check the dossier and make the logical assumption, but
since you can't access the dossier officially anymore and I'd rather not have you sneaking into
our facilities just to check out books again, I'll give you the short version.

It is, I'm afraid, more troublemaking. The Guardian Angels, Grimme's local army, have been
"taking care" of non-cult in the city in a fashion so quiet even you would admire it. They're
busy making unpeople of people few would miss, and while it's raising hackles it's also beginning
a pattern. If allowed to continue, the Guardians will get confident, and then they'll get cocky,
and then they'll start branching out. We need that pattern disrupted.

Basically, we need people disappearing that the Angels can't account for. Guardian Angles would
be nice, albeit above the bottom rung; so would affluent, faithful Angels. Don't have a pattern
on this one. Just go in and pick off the most upright pillars of the community you can find. I'm
hopeful this will appeal to your sense of humor.

As usual, leave no traces.We don't want to send people into a panic, we just want the region
destabilized. Do that, and keep doing that, until your recall button pings you. Then come home.
And do be careful; this is a cooling-off period for you, not a major incursion. That also means
"please don't steal quite as much from our resources as usual". You have carte blanche as always
given your lack of officicial support, but we have trouble getting supplies out there.

One last thing: If you get a chance to safely learn anything about the Rock, that would be a very
good thing.

Good luck, Miranda

-    A Kindred SpiritX"

No comments:

Post a Comment